Rita Skeeter Writes for The Sun

Movies
March 13, 2009, 02:22 PM

Balderdash is our word of the day, as it turns out the story in the Sun from a few days ago regarding a possible second screening of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is false. WB has confirmed to Leaky that there was no "secret" second screening of the sixth Harry Potter movie held as was claimed. For in an effort that would no doubt make Rita Skeeter proud, The Sun engaged in a bit of creative writing with their piece, as the comments were obtained from an article seen on Aint it Cool regarding the actual test screening held last fall.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Groucho2_thumb

Interesting…such stories are usually copyrighted, and information ‘borrowed’ from another news source must be credited (sometimes with a fee I believe). Melissa would know more than I…. but, wouldn’t Aint it Cool have a case against the Sun for not crediting it as the source of the material that was ‘borrowed’?

From the WB standpoint, its all just free publicity, can’t see them complaining, tho I would expect a very well publicized denial in order to generate more free publicity

Posted by budb on March 13, 2009, 04:21 PM report to moderator
40320resize_thumb

Lol half the comments on that story basically called The Sun rubbish, and they just proved it! Well done!

Posted by Athena ★ROAR!★ on March 13, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator

Darn that Rita Skeeter! Well, I guess it’s a good thing that there wasn’t another screening and people didn’t like it. I’m still anxious about all the stuff they must have cut, though. I really hope the movie turns out well.

Posted by badger666 on March 13, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

i was watching the phantom of the opera and rita is in it!!! anyways, the people at the sun really need to get their facts straight.

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on March 13, 2009, 05:04 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Ugh, guys. These were a couple people’s opinion last summer at the Chicago screening, but there were also other reports that said the film was great. Yes, if you only care about how much of the book is in the film, then I guess you’ll be disappointed.

What the Sun did was steal info from a website without permission. They also didn’t give AICN any credit whatsoever. It sounds like an editor was desperate for a Harry Potter story so they googled HBP, and found that old link. Totally ridiculous. At least Rita Skeeter does her own research.

Posted by mollywobble on March 13, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Disgusting. It wasn’t as if I didn’t expect it, though.

Posted by Dances with Dobby on March 13, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I must concede that I am not surprised in the slightest to learn this. Since when has anyone viewed the Sun as a reliable and credible source of journalistic information? One could trust it about as much Pettigrew.

Posted by Kirk on March 13, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_3_thumb

I knew it was false. no potter fan would say something that cruel

Posted by Crown Victoria [WBM] on March 13, 2009, 06:03 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

The Sun gives other news sources a bad name. Ugh!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on March 13, 2009, 06:03 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

Thank goodness we have leaky to give us news we can trust.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on March 13, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

bud, I don’t think AICN would make much of a stink of it. The “reviews” were submitted to the website anonymously, and since the guys who run AICN like to remain anonymous themselves, I don’t think they’d want to start anything. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s webmaster, Harry, writes a post about it.

Posted by mollywobble on March 13, 2009, 06:05 PM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Another good reason why I get my news from Leaky.
What I dont understand is how a newspaper can print news that is in fact creative writing, I guess it’s not fiction but, they’re taking the quotes out of context & recycling old stories … what is the point? It’s not news …

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 13, 2009, 06:09 PM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

Glad to see the story was just more tabloid rubbish – looks like Rita isn’t too far-fetched compared to some Sun so-called journalists!!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on March 13, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Aslan_thumb

Interesting that in today’s (Saturday’s print version) Daily Telegraph this article was printed as fact. Perhaps someone needs to tell the Daily Telegraph that it isn’t actually news? And that it was only a rumour?

Rita Skeeter does ride again! Perhaps there should be a Rita Skeeter journalist’s award for malicious grain of truth reporting.

Posted by WaggaWaggaWerewolf on March 13, 2009, 07:05 PM report to moderator
Jk-j-k-rowling-harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-unabridged-compact-discs_thumb
Ugggghhhhhhh that is so frustrating that the stupid Sun is making stuff up as always. I am a Harry Potter fan and I will enjoy the movie version of the HBP no matter what is different or cut. I will enjoy it, because I am a huge Harry Potter fan and love everything that is Harry Potter.
Posted by harrypotterbookpurist on March 13, 2009, 07:37 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Harry, if you go into Hogsmeade again... I'll tell Professor McGonagall about that map!" said Hermione.[br]"Can you hear someone talking, Harry?" growled Ron, not looking at Hermione.[br]"Ron, how can you let him go with you? After what Sirius Black near