Tom Felton Talks Potter Actor Jam Sessions, and Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys

Felton
March 24, 2009, 10:02 AM

Actor Tom Felton recently gave a new interview to Feltbeats.com, where the Draco Malfoy actor discussed his love of music, jamming on the set with fellow Harry Potter actors, and even a bit on Wizard Rockers Draco and the Malfoys.

While it isn't quite the Weird Sisters at work on set, Tom Felton first discussed his long love of music, and time spent with fellow cast members playing music on the set. Quotage from the interview:

TF:As far as jamming on the set with people, I know James Phelps is a big guitar man. I think he's more into his electric, shredding up the e-string and that sort of thing. He was always working, though, as well, so we never actually got a chance. One of the young chaps, Freddie Stroma (Cormac) - we had a little jam once on one of the nicer days outside. He brought his guitar and I had mine. And some of the crew members as well.

FB: Were you wearing your school uniforms while you were playing?
TF: Yes, I think so. It was a really sunny day the day we played so I remember being really hot in my uniform outside!

FB: And doesn't Matt Lewis play?
TF: And Matt Lewis, yeah! I didn't realize he jammed on the strings! He sent me a message the other day. He said, "Loved the new song; I really want the chords." And I didn't realize he played the guitar. That's cool, that's cool. We've got another jammer on the list.

FB: Yeah, you guys should have, like, a Harry Potter Reunion Tour.
TF: Yeah, that's it. We should have a band, shouldn't we? Brilliant.

Talk then turned to the wildly popular Wizard Rock, where Tom Felton described learning of the fan based rock music recently while here in Florida, where he spoke on the phone to members of Draco and the Malfoys (Brad and Brian). In what is surely a cool thing, Tom described this encounter as follows:

TF: Well, you know, when I was in America, I was brought aware of this thing called wizard rock. Are you aware of such a thing?

FB: Oh, yeah, definitely!
TF: Oh my god, I had no idea that people were actually making a living out of singing about, you know, Harry Potter! It's craaazy, man! I find that so fun!

FB: Have you heard any of the songs, then?
TF: The funny thing is, we met a lady once who actually sung in one of the bands. And she got some of her friends on the phone. I think it was a band called 'Draco and the Malfoys'?

FB: Yeah, yeah!
TF: Yeah, it's quite random! And I spoke to them, and was like, "Hello, nice to meet you." I won't lie, I thought it was a novelty thing; I didn't realize it had this huge following! And they actually have gigs and stuff! I was like, "Wow!" I mean, 'Draco and the Malfoys' actually toured Europe! It's incredible.

FB: And have you heard their song "Tom Felton's Kinda Hot"?
TF: Well, I think I heard about that... Aren't there guys in that band?

FB: Yes, but it is from Draco's perspective, see? All the songs in wizard rock are from the perspective of the character the group is named after. So this song is about how Draco thinks you're a good actor to play him in the movies.
TF: Well, there you go. How bizarre! How bizarre. Wow, well, that gives me more insight!

Thanks to Feltbeats, and much to Emma from Snitchseeker, who emailed about their questions that Tom answered!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Weasleycar_thumb

Too funny!

Posted by But Hagrid... on March 24, 2009, 10:25 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

you know, tom felton is kinda hot :] great interview

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on March 24, 2009, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

Good. . . :)

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on March 24, 2009, 10:36 AM report to moderator
Leakyavatar_thumb

That is awesome! Some day I’ll jam out with him :D Hopefully… Lol.

Posted by Caramello on March 24, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Twitter2_thumb

Lol, great interview!

Posted by Niphai on March 24, 2009, 10:48 AM report to moderator
Dobby_thumb

Aw I Love Tom! He and Matt MUST get a band together lol! i’m go see them!

Posted by MOEgir198 on March 24, 2009, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

Lol Tom seems to be very unlike Draco in real life…but he plays him so well in the films. Even in the first one, he just had that spoiled, snobby rich boy thing down-pat. :D

Posted by maera-kyrie on March 24, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

This is one cool interview … Tom Felton seems a real nice guy. But, it’s kind of weird (to me) that someone like Tom Felton who’s so central to everything HP can be right in the middle of the HP media yet unaware of wrock which is like huge. I guess the actors are so busy filming and working that they dont see what’s going on around them.

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 24, 2009, 10:53 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_ljx6bckvt81qayzvw_thumb
2043 Points

That so cool and his new song not bad

Posted by GinnyRose2004 on March 24, 2009, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Riddle_thumb

Aww man. Now I really want to invite him to a UK Wrock show! That’ll get him in the picture!

Posted by RiddleTM on March 24, 2009, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

It’s nice to get some personal info on the other actors from HP. Hmmm strange he is into music and didn’t realize there was the whole Wizard Rock movement. Guess he doesn’t have HPS. Lol

Posted by Cool G on March 24, 2009, 11:06 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

I think the actors are so busy that they haven’t had the time to enjoy all the stuff that we as fans do.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on March 24, 2009, 11:15 AM report to moderator
Img_e015_thumb

Tom Felton is so cool. I love him. I hope they do create a band in the sets…that would be funny!!!! Good for him!

Posted by laura399 {WBM} on March 24, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Copy_of_avatar_thumb

Wow, the actors have jam sessions on the set when they’re not working? That’s so awesome!

Posted by Professor Cassandra *~WBM~* on March 24, 2009, 11:38 AM report to moderator
1691273755a1691353847b766100513l_thumb

OH my God, he’s sooooo hot!! and he’s a really good singer and guitarplayer too!!

Posted by qwientje on March 24, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator

"We'll be needing a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.... Dear me, we do seem to run through them, don't we?"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014