Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Leakyav2_thumb

I’ve been waiting quite eagerly for this casting announcement- can’t wait to see how he does!

Posted by The Whomping Willow on March 27, 2009, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

ZOMG, Lovegood! Holy Crap! :) YAY!!

Posted by Christine on March 27, 2009, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Q3_thumb

OMFG
He’s brilliant!!!!!
I love that picture!
He has that look and everything
omg great casting…I hope it’s confirmed

Posted by KennedyJames on March 27, 2009, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Based on that picture alone I can safely say that he will fit the role for which he has been cast.

Posted by Kirk on March 27, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

Very cool! I am so excited to see this, it might be the best news I’ve had all week!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on March 27, 2009, 07:53 PM report to moderator
Jk-j-k-rowling-harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-unabridged-compact-discs_thumb

Wow that’s cool they are going to have him in the movie and hopefully Fleur too, because she has a good part in the DH book too!

Posted by harrypotterbookpurist on March 27, 2009, 07:54 PM report to moderator
Meatstrong_thumb

cool casting choice on Xeno. I hope Clemence Posy comes back, I liked her as fleur.

Posted by theatregirl25 *ROAR* on March 27, 2009, 07:54 PM report to moderator

Wow He looks perfect as Xeno…real quirky. Oh please let Clemence come back. Have we heard anything about if Viktor will be back? Oh I hope so to just see that interaction with Ron.

Posted by blueheaven53 on March 27, 2009, 07:57 PM report to moderator
11723820-5b9d22023dddf8a43ff58441c54cbe16

Excellent choice. He’s always who I’d pictured while reading the book!

Posted by Mobius on March 27, 2009, 07:57 PM report to moderator

Wow I just saw the picture of him and I do think he is perfect to play Xeno Lovegood. I think he will be able to pull the role off perfectly. He really looks like the part.

Posted by harrypotterbookpurist on March 27, 2009, 07:58 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

He looks like he can pull off the part. Yeah! They’ve spoke with Clemence’s agent. Fingers are crossed that she’ll return as Fluer. I’m hoping against hope here!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on March 27, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Mejaturned_thumb

Seems a little young, but I loved him in Notting Hill, so… bring it on!

Posted by Pattipenni on March 27, 2009, 08:05 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

my GOD!! That’s incredible! Not what I imagined but I know he’ll do it justice

Posted by KiwiMcI on March 27, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator

damn the one night i miss jonathon ross cause i was on the phone!!!!!!!!!

i love rhys ifans, but i still picture billy connolly in my head so we’ll have to see!

Posted by Celtise [TTW] on March 27, 2009, 08:11 PM report to moderator

How does TLC know he’s going to play Xeno if it hasn’t been confirmed? Secret sources?

Posted by greatpetie83 on March 27, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator

"Broaden you minds, my dears, and allow your eyes to see past the mundane!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014