Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Iconavmeg_thumb

Yey!! Xeno!
I think he will look a lot like him when they mess up his hair and add the yellow robes :P

Posted by Cheimonas on March 29, 2009, 07:21 AM report to moderator
Img000029_thumb

yay!! :]
I hope Fleur comes back, I really liked Clemence Poesy as her. =]

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on March 29, 2009, 07:24 AM report to moderator
Triogrounds2cut_thumb

yay!
i love casting news. this is all so interesting. i think he looks great for Mr. Lovegood and I hoping on my lucky stars that Fleur will be in this film. I love Clemence Posey and I think Fleur is great in this book. I want them to have the wedding so bad…

Posted by kayzz on March 29, 2009, 08:35 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Rhys Ifans to is young to Play Xenophilius Lovegood. enless they age him with make up.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on March 29, 2009, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

Exciting, I love casting news. And I really hope Fleur is back, I can’t wait to hear about that one!

Posted by The Silver Doe on March 29, 2009, 11:37 AM report to moderator
1166788518a6162058402l_thumb

That’s so cool i’ve seen him in a restaurant before yay, the first harry potter actor i’ve seen in real life.

When I first heard that I wasn’t so sure but then I cahned my mind, it’s just I imangined Xeno with white hair and kind of old. Isn’t he a Welsh actor, and Evanna is very Irish so is he going to have to change his accent? X

Posted by pottyboutpotter on March 29, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

I am shocked! I guess he is good at playing exhuberant but still! Just wow…

Posted by AbiDumbledore on March 29, 2009, 12:16 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

He is so perfect. I was watching Notting Hill the other weekend and he is just sooo perfect!!!! And I really hope Fleur will be back . . . . . coming on WB :D

Deathly-hallows-symbol-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-564456_1422_1545_thumb

Rhys Ifans? Oh dear God, I have to laugh XD

Posted by justwannaWrock on March 29, 2009, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Colleen_thumb

PERFECT! I cannot think of a better person to play that role…PERFECT!

Posted by [ colleen ] on March 29, 2009, 02:01 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

thats awesome! he looks like he could be evanna lynch’s dad. and clemence poesy possibly coming back as fleur? :D :D :D

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on March 29, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Limebat1_thumb

Oh but why did I get the impression Xenophilius was a bit more rotund? Hmm, need to reread a bit, I think.

Posted by Isabell |OoM4| |*Squee!*| on March 29, 2009, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Picture0093_thumb

Seems like a pretty good choice!

Posted by Serpensortia [FTC!] on March 29, 2009, 07:48 PM report to moderator
Normal_gof_chp04_thumb

man i hope he’s right foe the part

Posted by padfoot246 on March 29, 2009, 08:18 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

I just watched the interview where he mentions Harry Potter and I must say that I can now see him in the role regardless of his age.

Posted by phantomdave79 on March 30, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator

"What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts...."