MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

What the HELL are they talking about?? This is a little odd, because I know that the fans, myself included, think that the magic will never die. This person is damn right when they say the magic is strong as ever!

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on June 24, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

That’s it!!! How they say it??? Twilight isn’t good!!! and this is another reason for me to hate it! Some people really want me to read Twilight but I WONT! I never like it! from the very beginning! Harry Potter (Movies and Books) will never be replaced by Twilight! And I don’t care what people say! No offense to twilight fans! but! that is what I thing! what we all thing I’m sure!!!

Mendel_thumb

Of course, the magic is never going to be as strong as it was when we, as a world community of readers, pored through each book for the first time. Then again, what sets this series apart is that it retains its magic with each re-reading. I’m reading the series for the fourth time, and I’m just as engrossed as ever.

Posted by maxteachLairyFights on June 24, 2009, 03:38 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

HARRY POTTER LOST IT@S MAGIC???!!

ARE THEY INSANE???

(sorry for the caps!! xD)

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on June 24, 2009, 04:03 AM report to moderator
6040_1194938796265_1312303101_558427_2402039_n_thumb

Nothing will ever compare to Harry Potter. Many of us turned to Twilight in our PPD, but He will live in our hearts forever.

Posted by Camillebananapeel on June 24, 2009, 04:16 AM report to moderator
Yuleball29wd_thumb

Harry Potter will never cease to amaze me. It’s an incredible saga, all the books are wonderful, and it has an awesome FANDOM, which will NEVER forget about it.

Posted by Half-blood Princess on June 24, 2009, 04:23 AM report to moderator
9ronhermione_thumb

VIVA LA POTTER!!! <3

Posted by biggestharrypotterfan on June 24, 2009, 04:25 AM report to moderator
N1012410067_30004165_424_thumb

I love this! Really great article, very true. Thanks for posting.

I loved Half-Blood Prince more this time than I have previously too.

Posted by Olivia on June 24, 2009, 04:27 AM report to moderator
Weasleywheezes_thumb

Of course you can like other things and films too, that doesn’t mean that you love everything about Harry Potter any less. And that love won’t go away after the last movie! Harry will live on forever, no matter what, and if someone says that the magic is dissappearing, they haven’t even read the books!

Posted by Mrs Fred Weasley ROAR! (OoM1) on June 24, 2009, 04:35 AM report to moderator
Griffondor_thumb

Harry Potter will never get old!!!

screw twilight
(sorry twilight fanns)

Posted by griffindor4life on June 24, 2009, 05:03 AM report to moderator

I don’t agree with him about “Harry Potter loosing his magic”!! I mean, that’s total rubbish!!! It looks like he didn’t browse the Internet a bit and saw all those HP fan sites visited everyday by us, fans!! Maybe we can’t be seen a lot but that’s only because the movie isn’t out yet!! When it comes out, a mass hysteria will become and everyone will see that Harry Potter is THE BEST!!!!
On the other hand, I feel the same way he does about the books. You really can see all those little details by reading books few times, especially now when all books are out, you don’t worry so much about what will happen in the next book! :)

Posted by hp-fan (Roar!) on June 24, 2009, 05:08 AM report to moderator
Green_hummers_thumb

Harry Potter has not Lost It’s Magic and Never Will with Fans like Us who Love Everything Harry Potter. PLEASE!!!!!

Posted by Lady Grey OoM2,CW*ROAR* on June 24, 2009, 06:02 AM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

Harry Potter’s love and magic will NEVER be destoryed as long as there are fans like us. And there will be fans for ever ever and ever.

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on June 24, 2009, 06:34 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

I don’t know about the rest of you but the magic will never be gone for me! I have read the Potter books more than 30 times and plan on reading them over and over. Each time just gets better even though I know what happens. Harry Potter will always have a place on my bookshelf and in my heart. JK Rowling is a marvelous writer and her world is awesome!

Posted by beewell on June 24, 2009, 06:38 AM report to moderator

I read the Twilight series and it was good but Harry Potter is so much different. I enjoyed Twilight but I like Harry Potter better. It is so much more complex and to me much more believeable. I can totally relate to HP so much than I can to Twilight. I believe HP will popular and loved way longer than Twilight. I enjoyed the Twilight series but I LOVE HARRY POTTER and I will always consider HP to be so much more amazing.

Posted by Witch Princess on June 24, 2009, 06:45 AM report to moderator

"[Rita Skeeter] can turn --"[br]Hermione pulled a small sealed glass jar out of her bag.[br]"-- into a beetle."[br]"You're kidding," said Ron. "You haven't... she's not..."[br]"Oh yes she is," said Hermione happily, brandishing the jar at them.