Tom Felton in the News: Articles in Readers Digest, Boys Life, TV Appearance and More!

Felton
June 23, 2009, 12:09 PM

The publicity machine is in high gear for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, with actor Tom Felton the source of some recent interviews and appearances.

First longtime TLC reader Rotfang owled to let us know there is a new interview with Tom in the July Issue of the UK edition of Readers Digest magazine. In the new interview Tom discusses filming the scene with Draco and Harry on the train, where Harry is hidden underneath the invisibility cloak.

"This was the first film where I was involved in the filming from start to finish and got to work closely with actors like Michael Gambon," he says. "You have a certain sympathy for Draco because he's just a child whose father Lucius has been in prison and has a huge mental battle with the task he's been given. But this time he doesn't just express his fragility by calling Harry an idiot. He breaks his nose."  Tom warms to his theme. "Filming that was cool. We had Dan [Daniel Radcliffe] lying on the floor with my foot just above his head, not quite hit­ting him. There were a couple of times I was tempted to lay the...nah, bless him, I didn't touch him. He clearly loves playing the bad guy. "I get to act like a complete git. Who wouldn't want that? It's great fun scar­ing kids. I did an interview with a class­room of about 12 of them the other day and there was ten minutes of silence when they were keeping their eyes on me, not daring to speak. When young­sters are invited on set, they run up and hug Dan, but I don't get any of that.
"

The article continues:
The Half-Blood Prince, with its dra­matic deaths and romantic liaisons for several of the characters, is a grown-up film, reflecting how Radcliffe, Rupert Grint , Emma Watson and the rest of the cast have now become young adults. Tom is pleasantly surprised by how well everyone has turned out. "It seemed a certain bet that one of them would end up being a wild card, photographed brothel in Amsterdam. But they've all got their heads screwed on. I half-expected Dan to be a bit up in the air with it all, but he's untainted. He never spends any money. You go round his house to watch The Apprentice and you could be with any other guy."
It does seem, however, that girls like a bad boy. "Oh, there's plenty of interest, not from actual women, but from the youngsters of the world. I like to think that it's a purely aesthetic attraction, rather than Draco's personality." But although mischief flashes across his face as he describes his dubious alter ego, one is struck by how well­adjusted and charming he is for a young man who's spent his adolescence as a world-famous film character. ''As an actor, you get pleasure from doing something that's completely different to who you are. I occasionally find myself acting like Draco, though it's usually nothing magical, but some­thing to do with roads. My girlfriend Jade lives in north London and I live near Dorking so I spend a lot of time on the M25. Junction 9 at Leatherhead­that can be a killer."

Thanks to TLC reader Joseph for letting us know that last week week Boy's Life Magazine published a story in their magazine with Tom, and you can hear audio excerpts here.

Finally, several of you owled to remind us as he tweeted, Tom will be a guest on the 8 Out of 10 Cats quiz program this Friday, June 26th at 10:00 pm on Channel 4 in the UK. Phew!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I will need youtube.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on June 23, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator

Nice interview. He comes across as a nice guy.

Posted by jain on June 23, 2009, 12:44 PM report to moderator

Tom’s quite funny! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 23, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Harryhermione_thumb

hey first! 8 out of 10 cats is hilarious

Posted by hermiones on June 24, 2009, 12:19 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Haha, cool interview – love Tom!

Can’t wait for HBP!

Rupert_icon_thumb

LOL they run up and hug Dan but Tom doesn’t get any of that!

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on June 24, 2009, 01:01 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good interview…

Posted by Won_Two on June 24, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am glad to hear that he enjoys playing the character he does so much! This interview contained some awfully wonderful and witty comments from Tom.

Posted by Kirk on June 24, 2009, 02:02 AM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

should I read it???

Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

There were a couple of times I was tempted to lay the…nah, bless him, I didn’t touch him.
HAHA :]

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on June 24, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator
60c9c9ed966148bcbf9c4a4258e60858_1__thumb

Great interview , i love Tom Felton sooooooo much ! Can’t wait for friday ;D

Posted by FrancescaElle on June 24, 2009, 03:33 AM report to moderator

"Your mother died to save you. If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. Not a scar, no visible sign... to have been loved so deeply, even though th