Variety on Eight Harry Potter Films: Possibly Grossing 7 Billion in Worldwide Box Office

DH Film
July 12, 2009, 09:27 AM

Here is an eye opening number for you: Variety has a new article online listing the upcoming blockbusters in Warner Bros lineup for the next four years, with the piece reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2," directed by Yates and starring Radcliffe, Watson and Grint. Opening July 15, 2011. The eight films will probably win up grossing somewhere around $7 billion in worldwide box office."

The industry magazine also has a second article online where it notes WB's continued investment in the Harry Potter franchise, mentioning the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park currently under construction in Orlando, Florida. The 20-acre venture will feature a slew of rides, restaurants and attractions based on the books and films, including a 150-foot recreation of Hogwarts Castle and Hogsmeade Village. Rides will feature cast members from the pics." Readers will recall of course that actress Emma Watson recently confirmed that she filmed a piece to be used as part of one ride for certain.

Finally in an odd related note, on Friday, Harry Potter producers David Heyman and David Barron, along with director David Yates were the celebrity guests to ring the closing bell on Wall Street; photos here in our galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Well, $5 billion sounds too little a number. Considering the first 5 movies did about $4.5 billion in global box office already (not including DVD sales), the 6th will probaby do around $700 to $900 million, so the last two will probably not do less that the 6th. With 7part1 and 7part2 you can expect around $800 million from each movies as well.

So all the eight movies will probably make in the viccinity of $7 billion dollars (s-e-v-e-n) worldwide. :)

Posted by Fonty on July 12, 2009, 09:44 AM report to moderator

WHAT? Surely there is a mistake, Deathly Hallows part 2 in July 15th TWOTHOUSANDANDELEVEN?! I always though it was in 2010! Omg :( dies

Posted by neopolitandreams17 on July 12, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
200904141145471119_1_thumb

its 2011 the part one would be next year..2010..

Posted by emmajhane on July 12, 2009, 09:52 AM report to moderator
200904141145471119_1_thumb

@fonty I think ts a typo…if you read the article its $7 billion not 5

Posted by emmajhane on July 12, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

The Wall Street pics are really cool :)

It seems a little weird to me though, that Variety are already guessing at how much the HP movies will gross. It’s kind of fun but, weird … like it’s somewhat premature. And, I know that $5 billion is a lot of money but, I’d agree with the comment that says it would likely be even more than that. If they’re including DVD sales & theaters showing old movies again prior to new releases, I would have thought it would be more. But, what do I know LOL … talking about billions as tho I handle that kind of money all the time :D

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 12, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator

Yes, it was a typo, but quickly corrected by Sue. :-)

And it is now two years until DH Part 2 comes out and we´ll be able to see the kiss, that everybody talks about this year. :)

Posted by Fonty on July 12, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator
Suesmile1_thumb

Actually Fonty, Variety updated their article so it had to be changed, but yea I agree; think it may possibly gross even more. What fascinates me is how much the theme park will actually earn after recouping all they invested intially. Not sure how much sales of say just the DH DVDS, plus these “ultimate collector” sets will add to the overall pot, but somehow Im thinking that WB will go to extremes to open DHPT2 on as many screens as possible. Anyway, money money pish, I just want the films now lol :)

Posted by SueTLC on July 12, 2009, 10:05 AM report to moderator

Yes, they will milk it as much as they can. :) Collector´s DVDs with extensive bonus features (like LotR), commentary tracks (for a commentary track of the Trio on all the movies I would pay a lot of money :), Imax releases and re-releases, and even re-re-re-releases (all 3D?) of the movies into cinemas. :) Plus The Exhibition, the US Theme Park, and who knows what will happen to the aircraft hangars in Watford. :) I am so excited about HP still, that the next couple of years will be great. :)

And only three days for me to the 6th film. :)

Posted by Fonty on July 12, 2009, 10:26 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Yes, I agree. Collectors stuff, bonus features, clothes, theme park, pyjamas, bags and eveything else galore! :D
Bet they will make more then $7 billion, but to be honest I don’t care! I just want HBP at the moment and will think about the “rest” later lol! :)

Avatar_hp_thumb

Avatar_hp_thumb

Opps sorry! My laptop is still playing up!

Ron1_thumb

Agreed Swish and Flick! I just want HBP! :) I don’t want to really think about DH yet because one, it’s too sad to know that the movies will be over, and two, I don’t have patience to wait another year and a half! Lol.

Posted by Christine on July 12, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

i agree with Christine and Swish and Flick! i try not to think about DH
because it’s just too painful

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on July 12, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator

I think they are just referring to how mush the ‘films’ themselves will
gross…..not what everything related will gross.

Posted by Jeannine on July 12, 2009, 12:10 PM report to moderator
20110714-092024_thumb

Ahhhhh!!! That’s awesome!! :D And i’m SO EXCITED about the theme park!!!! haha, and Christine, Swish and Flick, and muggle..andproudofit i agree! It will be so sad when its over and yet i’m DYING for them to come!

Posted by Greta on July 12, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Yeh're goin' ter win," Hagrid growled, patting Harry's shoulder again, so that Harry actually felt himself sink a couple of inches into the soft ground. "I know it. I can feel it. [i]Yeh're goin' ter win, Harry."[/i]