Followup: Jamie Waylett Admits to Cannabis Possession Charge

Legal
July 16, 2009, 08:36 AM

A followup today regarding the case involving actor Jamie Waylett (Vincent Crabbe) and his arrest involving possession of an illegal substance. Appearing at the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court in London, England, the Telegraph reports Jamie plead guilty to growing ten Cannabis plants at his mothers home in England.  Readers will recall that Jamie (19) and a friend John Innis (20) were both arrested a few months ago after a police search of a friends car found eight bags of Cannabis and a knife. Later searches of their residences produced the plants at the Waylett home and three additional bags belonging to Innis. The paper states of the events today in court:

Innis admitted possession of a knife and having 11 bags of cannabis. Adjourning the hearing until July 21, chief magistrate Timothy Workman said: "Clearly the possession of cannabis is a serious matter and indeed the possession of knives is serious as well. "At the moment I'm not giving you any promises as to how the court will deal with this case."

Defending, Cheryl Rudden said Waylett had been videoing the road side for a music compilation when he caught the attention of officers. The court heard police found shots of the cannabis plants that the star had been growing on the same camera. This led them to search the men's homes. Ms Rudden told the court: "There are possibly issues as to his future in his field so far."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

“Waylett had been videoing the road side for a music compilation when he caught the attention of officers.”

Ignoring the fact that he actually was guilty of something and going on basic rights of privacy, how do you have the right to search someone’s camera for filming the roadside?

Posted by greenfire on July 16, 2009, 11:25 AM report to moderator

I am surprised the he had the weed on him. I thought he would be smarter then that and then to have it in his mothers house as well that was really stupid. He needs to sort out his priorities and straighten out his life. As well as move out of his parents home don’t he make enough money to get his own place.

Posted by aquarium385 on July 16, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator

As a side note how is it wrong to have a knife unless you are planning on using it in a crime. And how big was this knife (pocket knife or sword)?

Posted by aquarium385 on July 16, 2009, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

I wonder about that knife thing. Is this a big difference between America and Britain? Because everybody owns knives. It’s not indicative of gang warfare or something. This isn’t West Side Story. When people need to attack or defend themselves, they use those new-fangled contraptions called “guns.”

Posted by ScottMan on July 16, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
___thumb

Bloody hell!

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on July 16, 2009, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Resize2_thumb

Oh wells, nevermind. It’s only cannabis, at least it wasn’t something worse.

Posted by Aurora_7 on July 16, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

cannabis is safer than alcohol by a long shot, Jamie is yet another victim of unreasonable and unjust law.

Posted by splinch on July 16, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Myleaky_thumb

What possessed him to do it? Sorry to sound blunt and cold, but seriously, what made him do it?

If he escapes a sentence, I would be VERY surprised if WB let him return in the final film. I mean, this is a family film and allowing a young actor who grew drugs and “got away with it” isn’t the kind of message WB would want to send out to its audience. But, would WB recast his character at this late stage?

Posted by PewterWolf on July 16, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I hope that Jamie rethinks the cannibis thing. It sounds like the friend who owned the knife is a pretty scary influence too. Jamie did a great job playing Vincent Crabbe. I hope that the judge will scare him staight!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 16, 2009, 12:30 PM report to moderator
My-first-pointes_thumb

oh my god! I didn’t think that one of the actors would jepordize their role for something not even worth it. Did he even think of what this would mean to his fans, or any Harry Potter fan in general? These series mean the world to us (hopefully) and now he’s ruined what we will think of him most likely forever. We grew up with some of these actors, Jamie included. To me, it’s almost like watching this happen to a friend.

Posted by Livelovepotter [WBM] on July 16, 2009, 12:55 PM report to moderator
My-first-pointes_thumb

but I hope that he turns his life around and learns from his mistakes. it means a lot when people sincerely apoligize and move on and never turn back.

Posted by Livelovepotter [WBM] on July 16, 2009, 01:03 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I wonder if they’ll send him to Azkaban?

Posted by Won_Two on July 16, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Echolynn_hermione_thumb

It would be my guess that he would possibly loose the Role of Crabbe… I mean, the actors had to sign contracts basicly saying they were going to be good children and not get into any trouble or negative publicity… Too bad too if that happened. Cause we will see more of Crabbe in DH then in any of the other movies, because of the Fire Fiend scene…

Posted by EchoLynnetteB on July 16, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator

Oh dear, but it’s just cannabis, I mean, there are much worse things out there …. Not that I’d approve of it, but given how many Americans regularly take drugs (and I am referring to those they can get from their doctors legally) I can’t find that Jamie did anything horrible. He didn’t hurt anyone but himself, and alas, in a democracy we have the right to do just that …

Posted by Zhiyal on July 16, 2009, 02:08 PM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

splinch, illegal substance is illegal no matter how “safe” it is.
He did wrong and at least he admitted to it. Does anyone know the sentence? My friend, whom I learned to never listen to, said 17 years. I rolled my eyes.

Posted by punkedup88 on July 16, 2009, 02:10 PM report to moderator

Ron looked as though he was suffering some sort of painful internal struggle. Krum had already started walking away when Ron burst out, "Can I have your autograph?"[br]Hermione turned away, smiling...

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014