Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

100x100px_harry_potter_emma_watson_thumb

no idea wich one is my favorit, but i must say that harry potter is good anyware

Posted by goodegogo on July 29, 2009, 08:57 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I’ve never been to the beach… =) But I think Half-Blood Prince or Deathly Hallows would be favorite to read if I ever went to one. Actually, I can’t even choose! I would read them all.

Posted by Christine on July 29, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Img_0705_thumb

Probably the Order of the Phoenix or the Half-Blood Prince. But then again, I would probably bring them all to read anyway…

Posted by SlytherinGirl911 [FTC] ^HISS^ on July 29, 2009, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

I like to read all seven in order, but if I had to pick one to probably be okay to read by its lonesome during a holiday…Prisoner of Azkaban :)

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 29, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I can bring them all to the beach on my Kindle, and leave my good copies at home on my shelf!

Posted by Agrippa1 on July 29, 2009, 09:11 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

How do you have them on the Kindle, unless you got the illegally? I wish I could get them legally on my Kindle.

Posted by Sund on July 29, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator

I read the series every summer!

Posted by Dawna on July 29, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

those are all really good! but of course Harry Potter is always a great read!! (even when it’s not the first time reading it!)

Posted by HattFerg on July 29, 2009, 09:18 PM report to moderator
9793229_thumb

My favorite is Half Blood Prince or Deathly Hallows! I’d take those with me!

Really want to get the book set that’s out now and years 1-5 DVDs. I need to buy so many things! D:

Posted by Ouroboros on July 29, 2009, 09:22 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

cool

Posted by placebowiz on July 29, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

HBP hands down…

Posted by Won_Two on July 29, 2009, 09:37 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

HBP or DH. they both are awesome.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 29, 2009, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

HBP for holidays, it makes me happy. - until DD dies that is.

DH is more of at home by candle light to show how creepy it is sort of book, but i read it anywhere! :D

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on July 29, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator
Buddychrist_thumb

Goblet of Fire is my favorite to read on the beach or while relaxing..its when everything really goes up a notch w/ you know who coming back!

Posted by Triple_S on July 29, 2009, 09:45 PM report to moderator

4 or 5, can’t really choose.. 4 and 7 have grown on me after rereading the series a couple of times.. 5 was my favorite from the beginning.

Posted by entoptic on July 29, 2009, 09:56 PM report to moderator

"Anything good in there?" asked Ron as Harry closed the magazine.[br]"Of course not," said Hermione scathingly... [i]"The Quibbler's[/i] rubbish, everyone knows that."[br]"Excuse me," said Luna; her voice had suddenly lost its dreamy quality. "My father's