"Order of the Phoenix," "Half-Blood Prince" Films to get 3D Blu-Ray Treatment for DVD

Home Video / DVD
Posted by: Edward
October 13, 2010, 01:10 PM

Variety is reporting this morning that WB is beginning the process to convert the "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" films into a 3D Blu-Ray format for release on DVD.  The film studio is working with Prime Focus London, a company which has worked on the Blu-Ray conversion of WB titles in the past.  Variety reports:

Studio is keeping mum about its 3D plans for the "Potter" backtitles, including street dates for 3D homevideo and whether there will be a theatrical re-release for the series. With the final four "Potter" pics in 3D, however, conversion of the earlier pics seems likely. Just as Yates has had creative oversight of 3D on his pics, conversion of the earlier titles would likely require the involvement of Chris Columbus, Mike Newell and Alfonso Cuaron, who directed the first four in the series.
...
Yates is still in post on "Deathly Hallows" and will not turn his attention to the 3D back titles until early 2011. However, the Prime Focus process is flexible enough to permit the director to view shots and ask for adjustments after most work on those shots has been done.

This news does come on the heels of WB's announcement last week that the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One" film will not be released in 3D when it arrives in theaters November 19th.  No tentative sale dates have been revealed for the OotP or HBP 3D Blu-Ray release, but stay close to Leaky for the latest.

Many thanks, Ashton!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Home Video / DVD News

Films_dh_articles_dhew_11_thumb

Awesome! I would love to see these films in 3D, especially on my Blu-ray player! Gives me another reason to save money so that I can buy these and the Ultimate Editions 3 and 4!

Posted by harrypotter1991{ROAR} on October 13, 2010, 02:03 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Why? As I understand it 3D conversions are not particularly good, let’s hope the technology is up to the task. I’ll not be wanting to buy them, but I hope they are worthwhile for those who do:D

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on October 13, 2010, 02:23 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

Will 3-D die already? It looks bad in the theaters and looks terrible on blu-ray, please let 3-D die.

Posted by Liderc on October 13, 2010, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I wonder if there is some sort of reciprocal arrangement (read: kickback) between the movie studios and the companies that manufacture Blu-Ray players. Want to watch this movie in 3D? Sorry, you’ll just have to go out and buy a new DVD machine – even though the player you’ve already got is only a couple of years old and still works fine. It’s what they call ‘planned obsolecence’ in the manufacturing world. Make people consume, consume, consume some more!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 13, 2010, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

@WeenyOwl: I complety agree about the planned obsolecence.

I’ll just by the ultimate editions. Not a fan of 3-D though I would like a blu-ray player, but i’ll just wait till my dvd player dies.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on October 13, 2010, 02:40 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Errr, make that ‘obsolescence,’ sorry.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 13, 2010, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Cimg0309_thumb

@WeenyOwl and @jhangeljurl: Yeah, I suspect the same, but Blu-ray is only a transitory format. I work in a university library and we’re not even planning to buy any Blu-ray at all unless there is a huge shift in the industry. Right now, it looks like streaming video will overtake Blu-ray in a few years.

Posted by Sash1113 on October 13, 2010, 03:14 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

As someone who owns a blu-ray player I think is REALLY exciting news, however I think the 2D versions will always me my favorites just because they’re much closer to my heart and what I’m most familiar with. I’d still love to have 3D versions of them all even though I’ve already got all the films so far on both DVD & Blu-Ray, the SS and COS Ultimate Editions, and next week I’ll have the POA and GOF Ultimate Editions. Overload much?

Posted by bella vita on October 13, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

so sick. i cant wait for my new tv so these will actual be useful
black friday cant get here soonenough

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on October 13, 2010, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Don’t know how I feel about 3D tvs yet, but blu-ray is awesome!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on October 13, 2010, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

3-D That sounds awesome! 3-D really weakens my eyes but I still love it!

Hni_0022_thumb

3D! yay! Re-release! double yay! Harry Potter! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! haha

This sounds like a great idea, id definitely go watch them :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on October 14, 2010, 03:04 AM report to moderator

So, what about the Ultimate Editions? They’ll soon be running out of “special titles” for all the re-releases… I guess I’ll wait until they finish revising every movie and pack them along with all the extras from the Ultimate Editions into a gigantic Hogwarts box. They better be.

Posted by honigmuffin on October 14, 2010, 03:08 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Cool. Interesting – the 3D conversions would involve all past directors? Or, am I reading that wrong?

Posted by Smitch on October 14, 2010, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Okay, I have no plans whatsoever to buy any 3D manufactured marketing scheme garbage. I don’t like 3D in the first place, and I don’t get why converting 2D films into 3D is at all exciting or interesting.
Having said that … I hope they do a decent job so people who DO like 3D get their money’s worth.

Hermione almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly on her head.[br]"GRYFFINDOR!" shouted the hat. Ron groaned.