Daniel Radcliffe Laments "Heartbreaking" Recent Teen Suicides

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
October 04, 2010, 07:46 PM

MTV has an article today with a written statement from Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) in the wake of the recent suicides of Tyler Clementi and 13-year-old Seth Walsh.

The actor gave the following written statement to MTV News:

Learning about the suicide deaths of Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Asher Walker, Billy Lucas and Justin Aaberg has been heartbreaking for me. These young people were bullied and tormented by people that should have been their friends. We have a responsibility to be better to each other, and accept each others' differences regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ability, or religion and stand up for someone when they're bullied.
Speaking further about the "responsibility to be better to each other," Radcliffe continued with some advice for those concerned about depressed and suicidal friends or family members:
When a friend is feeling depressed or says they're thinking of killing themselves, we must take it seriously and get them help. [...] My deepest sympathies go out to the families and friends of these excellent young people. And to all the young people who are being bullied right now, you are not alone. Call the Trevor Lifeline at 866 4-U-TREVOR, because there's always someone there who will listen and who can help.
Dan Radcliffe has previously taken part in a PSA for the Trevor Project and spoke in February about his involvement with the nationwide suicide prevention telephone helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth in the United States. The 24/7 Trevor Helpline can be contacted in the United States by calling 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Avi_thumb

this great, go Dan. Those deaths were unnecessary and horrible.

Posted by DesQueJteVois on October 04, 2010, 07:54 PM report to moderator
Deathly_hallows_thumb

I love Daniel Radcliffe so much more than I possibly could for what he believes in! you are amazing Dan! Thank You!!

Posted by cmc110 on October 04, 2010, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Deathly_hallows_thumb

Posted by cmc110 on October 04, 2010, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

That’s awesome. We need more young celebs doing things like this, instead of making fools of themselves in front of the camera. That’s why I admire Dan, Rupert, Emma, and the rest of the young cast. They are great role models!

Posted by Smitch on October 04, 2010, 08:14 PM report to moderator
58118_132230363492317_100001160614391_151843_1249933_n_thumb

I love daniel Radcliff, way to stand up for your beliefs. Thank you for speaking.

Posted by JK.jr. on October 04, 2010, 08:26 PM report to moderator
Sales_calendars_2011_042_thumb

He s got the heart in the right place ,,,,

Posted by hermy on October 04, 2010, 08:52 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

Well said. Help each other and stand up for those who need help.

Posted by taoist1 on October 04, 2010, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Slyth016princessbloomy_thumb

Daniel is such an amazing guy.

Posted by Black_wind on October 04, 2010, 09:00 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I honestly think Dan is a great person, which is strange, it’s often hard to tell with celebs these days if they are doing this as a career move or because they genuinely care and I believe he does.

Posted by Liderc on October 04, 2010, 09:35 PM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

Dan is a one in a million. He doesn’t care a bout being “a celebrity” or any of the “perks” that go along with that “title”….but, like the decent human being he is, he uses that title for good. If anyone can shine a light, on this, a celebrity can. And who better, than Dan….or JKR….or Emma….or Rupert.?
or any one and so should we all. Good for you, Dan! A true celebrity voice, that cannot be equaled.

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on October 04, 2010, 09:46 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

this is why of love dan hes so sweet and its sad to think those boys killed themselves

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on October 04, 2010, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

Wow Dan is an amazing person. Way to go Dan :) I love everything he is doing for these kids. Keep it up.

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on October 04, 2010, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Mauraders_thumb

I saw this and I knew I had to comment. For the past year I have been struggling with depression and at one point I was very suicidal. It was all because of bullying. What got me through was my faith, my family and my Harry Potter obsession. When I had nowhere to go, I would turn on my WizardRock/AVPM playlist until I felt better. When I saw this, it was kind of like somehow my Harry Potter obsession was acknowledging that it knew what it got me through. So thank you JK Rowling for inspiring my creativity in writing, thank you Daniel Radcliffe for helping to speak out on this topic, thank you to all the other fans out there who supported my obsession and got me through. Thanx!

Posted by CanadianGryffindor_96 {ROAR!!} on October 04, 2010, 10:31 PM report to moderator
Mauraders_thumb

Posted by CanadianGryffindor_96 {ROAR!!} on October 04, 2010, 10:32 PM report to moderator
Mauraders_thumb

Ron pulled out his own wand -- not knowing what he was going to do he heard himself cry the first spell that came into his head: [i]"Wingardium Leviosa!"[/i][br]The club flew suddenly out of the troll's hand, rose high, high up into the air, turned slowly