Excerpt from Size Matters Not, Warwick Davis Autobiography

Davis
Posted by: Edward
April 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

As readers will recall, actor Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick & Griphook) has published his autobiography, Size Matters Not, which is on sale in the UK now.  Today, TLC has the first of a few special treats from the actor, who has furnished us with a selection from his autobiography.  Chronicling Mr. Davis' life and thirty year career, Size Matters Not, covers his many experiences working in film, including his time on the Harry Potter films.  The following excerpt details an experience working with fellow Harry Potter actors Alan Rickman (Snape), Maggie Smith (McGonagall) and Michael Gambon (Dumbledore):
From Chapter Eighteen: Pottering About
       There was one memorable occasion when I got to have a long chat with the older and more established actors. It was during a long night shoot when we had to wait a long time between shots while the special-effects people arranged all their gizmos for a particularly explosive sequence.
      We were outside, and I was flattered to see that my chair had been put in a group with Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith (Minerva McGonagall) and Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore).
      The four of us sat, in full costume, huddled around a tiny heater chatting through the night. Michael was a masterful storyteller and told some incredible tales with fantastic punch lines – most of which I can’t remember – and I’ve been sworn to secrecy for those that I do.
      It was sometimes hard for me to follow the conversation because they’d use first names. For example, Michael might ask, ‘Have you worked with Robert?’ and then you’d realise five minutes later that he was talking about de Niro.
      But there was one subject about which we both were experts.
      ‘What do you think of these beards, Warwick?’ Michael asked.
      ‘Well, they’re a bit of a pain, to be perfectly honest.’
      ‘Yes, they most certainly are, these wisps get absolutely everywhere. If I use my arms and wand it always gets entangled and I yank the thing right off my face. And don’t get me started on food. Dinner is a total nightmare.’
      I nodded in wholehearted agreement.
      A couple of days later, we were having lunch in full costume when Michael sat down at the table with a large canvas bag. He tied it around his neck and placed his beard inside and then was able to eat his tagliatelle without having to worry about consuming half of his beard at the same time.
      How did the lucky sod get one of those? I wondered, as I battled with forks, pasta and hair.
      Michael also loved a joke. After lunch one day, Michael’s make-up artist was removing his beard-bag before a shot. As she pulled it away she was amazed to see that Michael had woven a string of prawns, vegetables and other foody assortments into the beard.
      ‘What is it? What’s wrong?’ the famous actor said innocently.
      ‘Um . . . um,’ the flustered make-up artist replied, ‘your beard, er . . .’
      ‘Oh these! Well, that’s just in case I get a bit peckish, dear girl.’
©Warwick Davis – Aurum Press
Additionally, friends of Warwick and fans of Harry Potter can get Size Matters Not for the very special price of £10 (RRP £16.99) at waterstones.com.  Just enter promo code WD9371 at checkout.

Finally, Mr. Davis is also offering his twitter followers the chance to win a money-can't-buy Harry Potter prize; a framed set of seven extremely rare signed Harry Potter movie signature cards, each featuring a character he played in the Harry Potter movies. To enter, follow Warwick on Twitter, and retweet his tweet about the Waterstones.com offer.  This offering is only available to residents of the UK.

Stay close to TLC for even more coverage of Size Matters Not in the coming days.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Davis News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I love Michael Gambon. Must be one of the only people in the world who thinks its hilarious he plays Dumbledore. Both were rebels and took things lighthearted. I think Dumbledore would chuckle away at Gambon’s interpretation. They’d get on well.

Also apparently Warwick Davis is filming a pilot for the BBC for Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant’s new TV show about the life of a dwarf- cannot wait for that!

Posted by KiwiMcI on April 23, 2010, 02:53 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

lmao food in his beard! :D

Posted by Mr. Brightside on April 23, 2010, 03:06 PM report to moderator
P4093399_thumb

Sometimes I feel like Gambon is more like Dumbledore when he is not memorising a line!

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on April 23, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator

LOL, no wonder Gambon is (arguably) the perfect Dumbledore.

Posted by Evagirl on April 23, 2010, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

wow cool

Posted by alicia00 on April 23, 2010, 03:56 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Hmm, if only they’d film Gambon when he’s not in character; sounds like he’d do a better performance. Anyway, happy to see a biography from Mr. Davis. I loved his performance in Willow.

Posted by vespasian68967 on April 23, 2010, 04:12 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

ohh coool

Posted by LilLadySnape on April 23, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Michael Gambon is so much like Dumbledore its crazy!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on April 23, 2010, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Deathly-hallows-symbol-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-564456_1422_1545_thumb

Yoda should sue Flitwick/Griphook/Wicket. Lol

Posted by Nwrosey on April 23, 2010, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Panda_thumb

Gosh I wish Michael Gambon would be more like that on film. Oh well. :)

Warwick Davis is awesome! :P

Posted by FilmGirl27 *Team Weasley!* (ROAR!!) on April 23, 2010, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Love that little excerpt! I can see it now, all of them in full costume having a normal chat on set. And yes, it does seem like Gambon is more like Dumbledore when he’s acting like himself. lol :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on April 23, 2010, 05:12 PM report to moderator
91276076-92c0d0bb89d5acf6cf757ac328660480

The bit about food in his beard, so reminded me of Dumbledore. I laughed and my sister stared at my strangely.

Posted by Mischief_Managed *Roar* on April 23, 2010, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Avatars-kix_thumb

He’s awesome

Posted by Nagini's dinner on April 23, 2010, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

gotta love warwick

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on April 23, 2010, 05:50 PM report to moderator

“Michael also loved a joke. After lunch one day, Michael’s make-up artist was removing his beard-bag before a shot. As she pulled it away she was amazed to see that Michael had woven a string of prawns, vegetables and other foody assortments into the beard…”
haha lol

Posted by on April 23, 2010, 05:54 PM report to moderator

"Pygmy Puffs," said George. "Miniature puffskeins, we can't breed them fast enough. So what about Michael Corner?"[br]"I dumped him, he was a bad loser," said Ginny, putting a finger through the bars of the cage and watching the Pygmy Puffs crowd around i