Video: J. K. Rowling Discusses the Possibility of Killing Ron While Writing the Harry Potter Books

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 28, 2011, 09:41 PM

Video has made its way online from the special features on the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Blu-ray DVD showing a moment from the Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and J.K. Rowling sit down interview where the author talks about the possibility of killing the character of Ron while writing the series.  Ms. Rowling explains that during a not so "very happy place" mid way through writing the series, she "started thinking [she] might punish one of them off."  In explaining her choice of character, she adds:

"In my absolute heart of hearts of hearts – although I did seriously consider Ron. Anyway, I can tell you it’s a real relief to talk about it."
The full fifty-seven second video clip from the interview can be watched right here:

Thanks to Hypable for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Picasion

First comment, woo hoo! Kill Ron? Never! That would be so sad! I’m glad she didn’t!

Posted by Weasleyisourking99 on October 28, 2011, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Picasion

Posted by Weasleyisourking99 on October 28, 2011, 10:26 PM report to moderator

OMG not Ron!!! So glad she had a change of heart!!!

Posted by hewy on October 28, 2011, 10:35 PM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

It doesn’t sound like she took the prospect of killing Ron seriously. I think it would’ve made Deathly Hallows much more powerful, sadder, and ultimately a better book. Lots of people would be so sad about it, but people liked Sirius, Dobby, Hedwig too, and their deaths made Harry’s experience all the more dramatic.

If she did make Ron die, maybe then Fred wouldn’t have. But throughout Deathly Hallows, I thought that Ginny Weasley was going to die, for the ultimate “Harry-loses-everything” ending.

Although if one of the “Trio” had to die, I think it should’ve been Harry. But whatever.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on October 29, 2011, 12:19 AM report to moderator
269071_243257649019738_146705262008311_1068786_4799908_n_thumb

I’m glad she didn’t kill Ron!

Posted by sparkle9 on October 29, 2011, 01:15 AM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

Ronnie? My Ronnie? I’m sooooo glad that didn’t happen!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on October 29, 2011, 01:57 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

But, what would Hermione do if Ron died? She can’t end up with Viktor Krum can she?

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on October 29, 2011, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Ah,what a relief that it didn’t actually happen!!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on October 29, 2011, 03:47 AM report to moderator
Dsc_0091_thumb

Oh my gosh, I’m so very glad she didn’t actually do it.

Posted by tibby71 on October 29, 2011, 04:53 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

I’m glad she didn’t kill Ron in the end !

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on October 29, 2011, 05:58 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Yeah i guess out of them all I thought Harry would die. I think killing Ron would be an odd choice, he’s not my favourite character, but I think he holds a lot of people together.

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on October 29, 2011, 07:08 AM report to moderator
1b6254349a584bd136e047f7ef09b20674abbb5_s_thumb

Well she killed off three of my favourites: Sirius, Snape and Dobby so I suppose I should be grateful she didn’t kill Ron.

Posted by GoldenGem on October 29, 2011, 07:08 AM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Glad she changed her mind.

Posted by Girlraven1 on October 29, 2011, 08:00 AM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_thumb

Ron!!!!! NOOOOOOO! he’s one of my fav characters

Posted by ilovequiddichsofi on October 29, 2011, 08:46 AM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

Killing Ron? Well good think she change her mind lol because I don’t think I would like Harry Potter anymore if that happen lol just kidding I will be just sad cause he my 3th favorite characher I love the trio.

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on October 29, 2011, 09:18 AM report to moderator

"Your aunt and uncle will be proud, though, won't they?" said Hermione... "When they hear what you did this year?"[br]"Proud?" said Harry. "Are you crazy? All those time I could've died, and I didn't manage it? They'll be furious...."