International Territories to be Unaffected by Harry Potter DVD Pull

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
October 29, 2011, 01:08 PM

Cinema Blend is reporting that international territories, meaning any country apart from the United States, will not be affected by Warner Bros.' decision to stop shipment of the "Harry Potter" DVDs and Blu-rays after Dec. 29, 2011. Fans in the U.S. will still be able to purchase digital copies of the films online.

For those unfamiliar with the situation, check out Leaky's followup post about it here.

"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will be released on Nov. 11 in the U.S. and Dec. 2 in the U.K.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

OMG!
Went to COLLEGE got out with $60,000 dollars in debt, don’t even have new HP books to look forward to and now I find out that everyone else BESIDES we in the USA gets a longer window to buy the DVDs than I DO.

I AM THE 99%!!!!!!!!!!

no, but really, why is this even an issue. anyone who wants the dvd or blu ray is welcome to go buy them. if you don’t want to be hoodwinked by WB, just wait for the inevitable deluxe editions of the movies to be released.

the people we should be feeling sorry for, as ever, are the poor SOBs who have only seen the movies and never read the books.

Posted by Johnnymojo88 on October 30, 2011, 02:25 AM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

Why US, and why does it come out in US BEFORE it comes out in UK? I’m not from the UK, bout honestly! It’s british and was made in Britain. I don’t see why it should be released in US first!

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on October 30, 2011, 05:24 AM report to moderator
Crest_thumb

I am BEYOND confused regarding film distribution and what I should buy. If someone could help me, I’d be forever grateful. Here is what I want: All 8 movies with the most “behind the scenes footage/ extra fun stuff” that I can buy. Is that this, or is there something I’m missing? Sob! Help!

Posted by Summer73 on October 30, 2011, 09:41 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Gee whiz… I do believe there are still folks out there that didn’t know WB are a bunch of (&%^&^$%$#%$#%$^$&^()**_!!!!!

Posted by Won_Two on October 30, 2011, 12:25 PM report to moderator

WB’s logic:

We’re going to piss of the Americans by stopping distribution of the DVDs at the end of the year because we think it’ll make us more money.
But wait… That doesn’t give them very long to buy the DVD, so we’ll piss the British off too by releasing the DVD earlier in the US.

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on October 30, 2011, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

I’m upset with all the comments by people saying that it pretty muchs “sucks” to be an American because we won’t have the dvd’s anymore and everyone else will. Leaky is a fan-based community and we should all be sharing in the news of what WB’s is doing. I would know that if WB was doing this to a different country I would feel just as bad and yet, it seems not a lot of people want to care for us. Again, it all comes down to me me me and if it isn’t affecting me, I shouldn’t care. Come on people! What would Dumbledore do? OK i’m done with my little rant.

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on October 30, 2011, 07:38 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

How do they come up with this stuff? I don’t get these people at all. Calling them empty suits is more than they deserve.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on October 31, 2011, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THAT IS SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ForbiddenMarauder on October 31, 2011, 10:44 AM report to moderator

Is Canada really exempt too? A lot of the time we get lumped in with the states, without even being mentioned. Also I’m positive they said there was going to be an even better boxed set coming out next year, so can we all calm down, since we know we were all planing to buy it within the first week anyway? As for me, I’ll just be getting the most basic version to enjoy until the better set comes out next year. Fingers crossed for properly extended editions with more rooms at the Ministry, more memories (doubtful, but I can dream), and a repaired Part 2 that actually announces Ted Lupin’s birth, and says something SOMEWHERE about Harry’s cloak being a Hallow. For real though, show some compassion for those affected. Remember when HBP got pushed almost a year? Were we not together then? We’re only as strong as we are united, people!

Posted by pottermate on October 31, 2011, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

wwwwhhhhaaattttt!!!!!!!!!! por que solo las estados unidos!!!!!!!!!?? ok, done with my spanglish rant. i heard that the 8-disc collection has practically no special features either?! i really hope this isn’t going to end up a permanent thing.

Posted by hermy007 on October 31, 2011, 08:55 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

Why are they pulling the dvds at all?? thats just flat out stupid! Who wants a digital copy? NOT ME!

Posted by sboyer06 on October 31, 2011, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

It’s odd but i think they are looking at the future of video being direct to computer, tablet, smartphone, etc. not really fair for those of us who like to sit on the couch with a big screen version of the film as opposed to a digital download.
However, I bought each movie when the DVD was released, so as of now I’m only missing DH2. What kind of bugs me is that I had over half the movies when they started releasing the “Ultimate collector’s editions” of the DVDs – why do I want two sets? It’s more money for WB. :( And knowing that what I see on the DVD is what I saw in the theater is cool, but not so much when ABC Family always shows the extended versions wish is what i wished I had seen in the theater (if that makes sense.)

Posted by Xyra44 on October 31, 2011, 11:55 PM report to moderator
Book_thumb

Yes, they are coming out with extended editions set for 2012 (or at least, they claim they are), so that’s one reason they’re pulling all these sets (want to be able to charge what they want for them, I guess).

And I suspect they’re treating Canada to this delight, too. John Green mentioned once that in the publishing world, Canada is considered part of the United States. I suspect the same may be true for movie publishing, even with the French language requirements. Guess we’ll see if we are Americans or Internationals. :P

Posted by jillians642 on November 01, 2011, 04:43 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"We've told Marge you attend St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal Boys."[br][i]"What?"[/i] Harry yelled.[br]"And you'll be sticking to that story, boy, or there'll be trouble," spat Uncle Vernon.