"The Scorpio Races" by Maggie Stiefvater

Misc
Posted by: Rosi
December 11, 2011, 06:59 AM

Be sure to catch THE SCORPIO RACES, the book that Seventeen.com called "A wonderful combination of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games that you won't ever want to end."

Written by bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater of SHIVER and FOREVER, THE SCORPIO RACES tells the magical adventure of the most dangerous race in the world where both love and life meet their greatest obstacles, and only the strong of heart can survive.

Entertainment Weekly raves: "In the impossibly thrilling...beautifully executed drama, Stiefvater has established herself as one of the finest YA novelists writing today."

And The New York Times Book Review declares: "Stiefvater, most recognized for her Shiver werewolf romances, not only steps out of the young adult fantasy box with The Scorpio Races but crushes it with pounding hooves... if The Scorpio Races sounds like nothing you’ve ever read, that’s because it is... [Stiefvater has] written a complex literary thriller that pumps new blood into a genre suffering from post-Twilight burnout."

Don't miss this must-read for Muggles everywhere! Make sure to watch the super cool trailer that Maggie created the art and music for by clicking here!

This is a sponsored post.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Misc News

Ron-and-hermione_thumb

I know it’s been done before, but I don’t really like the idea of other books being compared to Harry Potter or something of the like… But I fully respect the authors and the company…
Well, best of luck to her.

Posted by lovelle on December 11, 2011, 08:28 AM report to moderator

Since when do Leaky do sponsored posts? =S

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on December 11, 2011, 09:06 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I agree with Lovelle. Its a kind of lazy way to review books if you compare it to something else in my opinion.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 11, 2011, 10:07 AM report to moderator
Angel_thumb

What kind of post is that? I don’t trust reviews that just say one book is like another, seems lazy and questionable. Twilight was originally compared to Harry Potter and we all know how “exceptional” that series is…..

Posted by hrrypttrfn328 on December 11, 2011, 11:01 AM report to moderator

This I don’t understand. I like Maggie Stiefvater very much (really liked the Shiver books), but I have read The Scorpio Races and I do not see a single similarity to Harry Potter in it. Harry Potter’s achievements are many, but the ones that really stick out to me is a world that took years to create (there is a fictional island in TSR, but it’s not the same), an enormous cast of characters, all of whom you can imagine far past the boundaries of the story (TSR has two main people, and the rest can all be neatly divided into good people and bad people, with the exception of one of the brothers), and the third-person limited POV, which is done flawlessly (TSR has two alternating narrators and is written in the present tense, which I personally don’t like in novels; I think it turns out rather awkward. It IS like The Hunger Games in this respect.)

And yes, I do like Maggie Stiefvater’s work, but do I think it’s okay for her marketing campaign to unabashedly compare her work to the greatest fantasy writer in history’s, on a website dedicated to that writer? No. I don’t. I think that’s conceited and irritating.

Let’s tout the merits of The Scorpio Races on its own terms, how about. On Maggie Stiefvater’s website. On Goodreads. In bookstores. Not on websites full of people who will never in a million years believe it’s “just as good as Harry Potter!” Harry Potter changed many of our lives. It’s just never going to measure up.

Posted by Libby on December 11, 2011, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Hpcharactercollage_thumb

What a silly post. I come here for Harry Potter news, not the shameless hocking of books comparing themselves to J.K. Rowling – whether or not the book is good, it doesn’t matter, it’s still borderline offensive to most Harry Potter fans. Please don’t use the enormous power of Leaky for a little extra cash.

Posted by Evil_Genius77 on December 11, 2011, 12:11 PM report to moderator

Not very excited to hear more books compared to the Harry Potter series. But I may give it a try.

Posted by . on December 11, 2011, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Tom-felton_thumb

I don’t know, it sounds like it could be interesting. Both Harry Potter and the Hunger Games are my favorite series. I guess I’ll have to wait and read it to find out.

Posted by Maddie Malfoy on December 11, 2011, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Ummmm.. I dunno about this…. :+/

Posted by Won_Two on December 11, 2011, 02:39 PM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

ya u agree with Evil_Genius77!!! this is a hp news site!!!

Posted by the mudblood princess:)/ginnylove101 {WBM}=:) on December 11, 2011, 03:17 PM report to moderator
Ravenpuff_thumb

Exactly. I really wish that Leaky wouldn’t pretend to like something just to get a quick buck. Leaky should be a place where fans can actually say what they feel, not what someone pays fans to feel.

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on December 11, 2011, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe_being_perfect_thumb

Libby took the words out of my mouth.
Honestly, not a good idea to put this on a website full of some of the biggest Harry Potter fans ever, who are all also going through very strong Post-Potter-Depression.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Hope Maggie Stiefvater’s career is a great, very successful one!

Posted by Potterhead777 {ROAR!} on December 11, 2011, 06:18 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I would like to hear about books that are similar to HP but this book doesn’t sound like HP; however, from what @libby said it doesn’t sound like a HP book.

Posted by molly43 on December 11, 2011, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

This is something that should have gone on the LeakyNews website, not on The actual Leaky Cauldron. This fansite is only for Harry Potter, LeakyNews is for, well, EVERYTHING ELSE. And this is certainly everything else. The HP fandom is a fandom apart, and yes, we read, listen to, and watch other things and fan other stuff, but nothing compares with our love for HP. I think it very important this site be kept pure and LeakyNews be used for stuff like this that just appeals to a similar audience.

Posted by Bless_the_children on December 11, 2011, 09:08 PM report to moderator

I thought the Leaky Cauldron was above this. This seems to be a trend that YA fiction is using to sell books. A week or so ago a similar post was done on my favorite Hunger Games website to promote a new book. While it is a good website it is no Leaky Cauldron and I can’t believe TLC would sink to this. Trust me, I am looking for the next great read but to compare it to my favorite books is not the way to do it. Harry Potter didn’t compare itself to another series to get me to buy it. It caught me by word of mouth and hooked me by its great story.

Posted by Katcandoo on December 11, 2011, 09:58 PM report to moderator

"Was [James] playing with the Snitch?" said Lupin eagerly.[br]"Yeah," said Harry, watching uncomprehendingly as Sirius and Lupin beamed reminiscently. "Well... I thought he was a bit of an idiot."[br]"Of course he was a bit of an idiot!" said Sirius braci