LA Times Interviews: Matt Lewis on Neville's "Gryffindor Moment;" VFX Supervisor Tim Burke Talks 3-D

Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
June 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

As part of their countdown to the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," the LA Times' Hero Complex blog has been publishing new and exclusive interviews with the cast and crew of Harry Potter.

Yesterday, actor Matthew Lewis described his character Neville Longbottom as a "beaten, battered war veteran" in the final film. He talks about Neville leading the Hogwarts students during the battle and having his "Gryffindor moment."

"It’s that weird thing that Jo [J.K. Rowling] did when she wrote the character. Everyone was sort of thinking, “Well, why is he in Gryffindor?” And it just shows that you don’t have to be perfect. You don’t have to be a Brad Pitt look-alike hero just to be courageous and help out your friends and come through when it really matters. I think everyone can sort of relate to that in some way, particularly back to people’s school days. Like, I wasn’t on the football team at school or whatever, but it doesn’t matter. You can still make a difference."
Behind the scenes, visual effects supervisor Tim Burke has worked on the films since "Chamber of Secrets" and reminisces with the LA Times about some of his best work on Harry Potter. Burke admits he is slowly coming to the realization that the films are now complete, and he also gives high praise to the 3-D used in "Part 2."
"I think people are going to be really pleased. I know everyone’s a little nervous and skeptical of 3-D these days, but the work has been done very, very well. We’ve done over 200 shots in 3-D and in the visual effects as well, because so much of it is CG, so the results are very, very good. I think everyone’s going to be really impressed with it, actually."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Interviews News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I loved the Tim Burke interview you really do need to appreciate how much art, work, effort and attention to detail went into to this one, right down to the wire

Posted by KiwiMcI on June 29, 2011, 11:10 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I’m excited to see it in 3D! And I love Neville! Matt really knows his character so well!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on June 29, 2011, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

It is high time we got Neville’s ‘Gryffindor moment’. I always knew there was he had it in him. :) And Matt is such a great down to earth guy. Boy would I love to meet him!

Posted by LunaLuver on June 29, 2011, 02:07 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

actully he has had a few, like in the first one, standing up to the trio

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on June 29, 2011, 02:10 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

Awesome interview with Matt, can’t wait to see Neville’s big moment! :D

I’ve always been kinda on the fence about the whole 3-D fad….. I s’pose it’ll be kinda cool with this one though with all the battle sequences… it’ll just make it hard to wipe my eyes when I’m crying!

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on June 29, 2011, 02:48 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

For the midnight showing, I’m seeing it in 2-D, but for everytime after that (I always go a few more times after) I’m seeing this in 3-D!! I love 3-D, I saw Alice in Wonderland and The Last Airbender in 3-D and they were amazing

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on June 29, 2011, 08:05 PM report to moderator

"Aren't you two [i]ever[/i] going to read [i]Hogwarts, A History?"[/i][br]"What's the point?" said Ron. "You know it by heart, we can just ask you."