Severus Snape Chosen as Favorite Harry Potter Character via Bloomsbury Poll

Books
Posted by: Edward
August 30, 2011, 11:25 AM

As readers will recall, Bloomsbury, the UK publishers of the Harry Potter novels, asked fans of the series to vote for their favorite character from author J. K. Rowling's series.  Voting concluded late last week and the results are in: Severus Snape was voted as the favorite character form the Harry Potter novels.  Hermione Granger came in at second place, with Sirus Black and Harry Potter, himself, in the third and forth slots, respectively.  A press release reads:

The vote was launched in May 2011 and received over 70,000 votes. Severus Snape gained 20% of those votes (just under 13,000) making him a clear winner. Severus Snape has appeared in all seven of the Harry Potter novels and came to be an integral part of Harry Potter’s life.
Hermione Granger took second place and Sirius Black third. Harry himself came in fourth and Lord Voldemort just made the top twenty at number 17. Dobby is the only non-human character to make the top ten and another Slytherin, Draco Malfoy, completes the top characters in tenth place. The top ten is below:
  1. Severus Snape
  2. Hermione Granger
  3. Sirius Black
  4. Harry Potter
  5. Ron Weasley
  6. Luna Lovegood
  7. Ginny Weasley
  8. Albus Dumbledore
  9. Dobby
  10. Draco Malfoy
Voters could also suggest their own favourite characters outside of the 40 and of these Oliver Wood was the most popular. Fang, Hagrid’s dog, and the Fat Lady in the portrait at the entrance to Gryffindor gained the least votes with only one each!
The full list of all forty can be found below:
The Top 40
40.Cornelius Fudge

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Img_0594_1__thumb

@ Jacket, yeah me too.

Posted by CorruptedNethicite on August 30, 2011, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Img_0594_1__thumb

@ Lunalover, yeah about Sirius, I hated him ever since I’ve read book 5, and yet people seem to forget that or overlook it.

But, as longs as my favorite characters are up then all is well.

Posted by CorruptedNethicite on August 30, 2011, 05:58 PM report to moderator

yay for Snape! I have to admit I voted for Harry because I always followed his story most, but Snape is my second favourite and I was a Lily/Snape shipper. I’m surprised that Sirius made it so high and that Hermione beat the boys, especially Ron. I always assumed from reading people’s comments that Ron was many people’s favourite.

Posted by anne1 on August 30, 2011, 06:06 PM report to moderator
January-birthstone-garnet_thumb

Snape, Snape, Severus Snape… He was my dad’s ultimate fav character…then again, he only did that to annoy my sister. But I’m a Slytherin all the way baby. My friend and I are learning Parseltongue.

Posted by GarnetGirl on August 30, 2011, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

lupin @ #11 YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by lupintonksteddyfan99 on August 30, 2011, 08:01 PM report to moderator

Yes! I’m so glad Hermione made it to number 2!!!!!! :) Actually, Snape won the MTV Harry Potter World Cup too! That was when I finally realized the MASSIVE fan base Snape has! To be honest, I’m quite shocked Sirius beated Harry! O_O To be honest, I was VERY surprised with that number 19, 26, 31, 34, 36, 37, 39, 39, and 40 even made it to the top 40!!! O.o

Posted by . on August 30, 2011, 11:03 PM report to moderator
41469_741460511_8404_n_thumb

Harry is always number one to me…Ginny before Dumbledore, What!

Posted by cjbg1980 on August 30, 2011, 11:32 PM report to moderator
41469_741460511_8404_n_thumb

Harry is always number one to me…Ginny before Dumbledore, What!

Posted by cjbg1980 on August 30, 2011, 11:33 PM report to moderator

WeenyOwl, in the films, sure, because they gave her absolutely nothing from the books. She was completely rewritten. But in the books, Ginny’s a great character, and she’s one of my favorites. I’m pleased she placed so high, as she’s often overlooked, but it’s good to see she has a lot of fans. :) I do wish Neville was in the top ten though. And Harry will always be #1 to me.

Posted by rosalie on August 30, 2011, 11:36 PM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

WOW best character, yes!!
harry numer 4?
love hermione.
I would put harry on 3rd place and ron in 4th…

luna
dumbledore
minerva
molly
arthur weasley

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on August 30, 2011, 11:38 PM report to moderator
41469_741460511_8404_n_thumb

Sorry don’t know why that posted twice- I am sure glad Dobby made the list I just love him.

Posted by cjbg1980 on August 30, 2011, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

@CorruptedNethicite, Why should people hate Sirius after book 5? If anything, OotP made him a more sympathetic character.

Posted by Iceholic on August 30, 2011, 11:51 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Wow..this is amazing. Severus Snape definitely deserves the first place! :’) I expected Harry to be in the 2nd place,though. And what are Dementors doing there in the list? Lol! XD

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on August 31, 2011, 03:01 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

I voted Luna!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on August 31, 2011, 03:09 AM report to moderator
Anime-halloween-witch-greetings_thumb

woohoo!!!

SEVERUS SNAPE ROX!!! :DD

Posted by Paitrix...{WBM} on August 31, 2011, 03:35 AM report to moderator

"Percy would never throw any of his family to the dementors," said Hermione severely.[br]"I don't know," said Ron. "If he thought we were standing in the way of his career... Percy's really ambitious, you know..."