Video: J. K. Rowling with Charlie Rose

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
October 22, 2012, 07:11 PM

J. K. Rowling's recent appearance on Charlie Rose can now be seen in its entirety here or below.

During the interview Rowling discussed The Casual Vacancy, of course, but she also talked a little bit about Harry Potter. In particular she discussed some of the actors' performances in the films.

Many thanks to SnitchSeeker for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

I would really like to give American interviewers a primer for talking to people from Britain. Rule #1: Don’t put them in a position where they have to figure out what to do with loads and loads of praise, and Rule #2: Don’t insist on asking them personal things after they’ve already gracefully avoided answering. I keep seeing this happen in American/British interviews — it’s a cultural difference and I think it’s fascinating, but people should realize it’s a thing by now!

Posted by Libby on October 22, 2012, 08:09 PM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

Agreed, possibly more so for those of us who are older. So long as he didn’t ask her about writing/talking in American – that’s usually good for popping up the blood pressure quite a bit!

Posted by zonkoltd on October 23, 2012, 07:09 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How very interesting…

Posted by Won_Two on October 23, 2012, 07:49 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

@Libby – I totally agree with you. Although I’m Canadian, I am aware of the cultural differences between American and British culture. When it comes down to it, it’s about American straightforwardness and British reserve, and how the two norms cause misunderstandings and awkward moments. I live overseas, and I see this happening in regular conversations. It’s a bit funny (always interesting), and definitely unfortunate! Haha. :)

Posted by Smitch on October 26, 2012, 01:42 AM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

There is also an assumption (by Brits) that everyone knows the shorthand, and is using the same subtle nuances of words. A British officer in the Korean war described their situation to an American as ‘rather sticky’ when asking for support. This was unfortunate, he should have relaxed the upper lip a bit and said, more accurately, ‘help, we’re getting slaughtered here, send everything you’ve got’. Which, of course, he did say – just in Britspeak.

Posted by zonkoltd on October 26, 2012, 05:42 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I get that too, to be honest I prefer Jo’s interviews in Britain compared to the American ones. She always just seems more relaxed at home. And it’s not like British interviewers are evasive, they can be very straight forward too but at least they ask in a way that is on her same wave length. And don’t even get me started on the amount of American interviewers who get her name wrong… seriously? 15 years later and you still say Rowling like Howling. Come on! Bowling!

Posted by KiwiMcI on October 28, 2012, 07:36 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Anyhoo, another wonderful interview, thanks Leaky!

Posted by KiwiMcI on October 28, 2012, 09:20 PM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

She can handle any interviewer :)
Gosh, I love the way she talks about the book, I can’t wait to have my own copy 8→

Posted by devilskinn on November 13, 2012, 07:05 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

Okay, I’m now 15 minutes in, he’s quite annoying for always pushing her answers, not letting her finish…

Posted by devilskinn on November 13, 2012, 07:08 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

I love the way the fact that they are both dressed up very darkly, they blend with the black in the background…

Posted by devilskinn on November 13, 2012, 07:16 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

How great is that with Luna and Evana, she really was good ;;)
I love it how she says “My Hermione” <3
And yes, this is in fact why I love Harry Potter: the plot is excellent but the book is mainly character-driven.

Hmm, still, I do like some of his questions, because they are not the traditional safe ones…

Posted by devilskinn on November 13, 2012, 07:27 AM report to moderator

The little wall space available bore witness to Mr. Weasley's obsessions; there were several posters of cars, including one of a dismantled engine, two illustrations of postboxes he seemed to have cut out of Muggle children's books, and a diagram showing

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014