New York Times Interview with Emma Watson

Watson
Posted by: Mel
August 17, 2012, 07:14 PM

The New York Times has a new interview up with Emma Watson, which mainly discusses her transition from "Harry Potter" to other films. Among the topics discussed is Watson's American accent in her upcoming film "The Perks of Being a Wallflower":

She also manages the difficult feat — for a nice English middle-class girl — of sustaining an American accent. I told her how good it was and she thanked me nicely and explained how she’s honed her vowels: “My grandma said — when I was really young and I’d sing along to the radio — why do you sing in an American accent? I guess it was because a lot of the music I was listening to had American vocalists. And that was something Steve said to me as well: try singing the lines in an American accent. That kind of opened me up. Then I worked with a dialogue coach and I just put in the time to really, really listen and just go over it and over it and over it until I could do it without thinking about it too hard. And I just knew it was really important.”

Watson also discusses why she waited so long to get involved in non-Potter movie projects:

“I think at first I didn’t because I was always either studying or filming, I didn’t have time to go off and do other films or other things to sort of show people that, Oh, she is not just Hermione, she is an actress and she can go and do these other parts and roles. . . . I didn’t, because I was so focused on, you know, on my GCSEs and on my AS and on my A-levels and then getting in to university and then whatever, I didn’t really have time to do any of that.” Meanwhile, her “Potter” co-stars, Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, had already begun to appear in other contexts before the franchise finished; Radcliffe most notably in a stage production of Peter Shaffer’s “Equus,” a distinctly challenging part that entails sturm, drang and full-frontal nudity. Watson considered the performance “incredibly brave, and I think people were impressed by his dedication and his work ethic."

Watson goes on to talk about her other upcoming projects, as well as confirming that "Beauty and the Beast" (directed by Guillermo del Toro) will begin shooting next summer. You can read the article here, as well as view the photoshoot that accompanies the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Sounds wonderful! I can’t wait to hear more about Beauty and the Beast.

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on August 17, 2012, 08:20 PM report to moderator

Link is to page 2 of a 3-page article. Not a big deal, but maybe could be fixed?

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on August 17, 2012, 10:49 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’m really looking forward to hearing Emma’s American accent. :) And Beauty and the Beast, that has me VERY excited!!! I will be seeing everything Emma is in, love her! =D

Posted by LunaLuver on August 18, 2012, 01:09 AM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

seriously?? did anybody read the actual article? this guy basically dissed emma and put her in a very bad light!! who was that??? i am kinda pissed right now:(

Vdpqtmg_thumb

I’m looking forward to hearing her American accent. Can’t wait for Perks of Being a Wallflower

Posted by Acciobrooms on August 19, 2012, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

@the mudblood princess – you are so right about the article. But I think what is going on is that the writer never liked Harry Potter, didn’t care to notice whether any of the actors were well-cast or portrayed their characters well. In short, he is a pompous twit (I’d say something else but I can’t here, so use your imagination). Will Self seems to be appropriately named as he is “self”-absorbed. That makes it rather hard to do a good interview, imo.

I wish Emma all the best and look forward to seeing her movies. It sounds to me like she has chosen interesting projects. And unlike the twit who wrote the article, I admire her for chosing to continue her education. That can’t have been easy to juggle the movies, the publicity jaunts when a new movie was being released and still get to her classes. Good on you, Emma!

Posted by Eeyore on August 20, 2012, 02:07 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

Looking forward to seeing Perks, it’ll be nice to see Emma in something different :) always going to support the actors in everything they are doing!

Posted by Sigourney♥ on August 20, 2012, 03:43 PM report to moderator
287e041302f34b11ddfb57afc8048cd8_thumb

argh the interviewer is so irritating and obnoxious. He basically said he doesn’t really care what she does or what she was talking about.

Posted by Lizzydizzy on August 20, 2012, 09:34 PM report to moderator
100_4747_thumb

cool! Can’t wait to see everything that she is branching out in!

Posted by HarryLover on August 21, 2012, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

That writer is an ignorant twit!

Posted by Won_Two on August 21, 2012, 05:57 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

@Won, I totally agree, all he’s doing is trying to show how clever he is by using far more words than strictly necessary, many of which sound as if he had swallowed a dictionary. I understood most of the more obscure words but thought what an idiot he was to keep showing off his vocabulary rather than writing a concise and well structured article. He was very rude about Emma in a rather snide way. I have always thought this man is a show off and, as someone else said, well named as he seems utterly Self absorbed.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on August 22, 2012, 08:29 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

I don’t know why Emma gets critised so much about “jetting elsewhere” during her time at uni and doing other stuff as well as studying. It is the reality for a lot of students to be involved in other things – either because they have to support themselves through work or because they simply want to gain different experiences – all of which is rather important nowadays I should think. Emma got some good opportunities and seized them in the same way as a lot of people would have done in her place. @moglet and @Won – I sometimes think it’s all envy. The writer is clearly full of envy and has found an outlet in his writing. Pity.

Posted by siena on August 23, 2012, 12:39 PM report to moderator

Harry watched Hagrid getting redder and redder in the face as he called for more wine, finally kissing Professor McGonagall on the cheek, who, to Harry's amazement, giggled and blushed, her top hat lopsided.