Albus Severus Meets Peeves Contest
As summer wanes and the tonic effect of family vacations start to fade we look forward to the return to school (well, the parents do). Some who have never been before may feel a little anxious, naturally. Others with more experience often grow excited at the new prospects before them; some more than others, of course. September’s contest is about two characters who find themselves in just such a situation: Albus Severus, nervous about his first year at Hogwarts, and Peeves, ever thrilled to harass the “ickle Firsties.” It’s time to sharpen those nibs and refill the inkwells in preparation for our back to school contest!
…“Peeves,” Percy whispered to the first years. “A poltergeist.” He raised his voice, “Peeves – show yourself.”
A loud, rude sound, like the air being let out of a balloon, answered…
…There was a pop, and a little man with wicked, dark eyes and a wide mouth appeared, floating cross-legged in the air...
“Oooooooh!” he said, with an evil cackle. “Ickle Firsties! What fun!”
He swooped suddenly at them. They all ducked.
“Go away, Peeves, or the Baron’ll hear about this, I mean it!” barked Percy…
…“You want to watch out for Peeves,” said Percy, as they set off again. “The Bloody Baron’s the only one who can control him, he won’t even listen to us prefects...” (Scholastic pb. SS pg. 129)
Your homework assignment: take out parchment and quill and in 500 words or less compose a story about Albus Severus encountering Peeves for the first time. Will Peeves show him mercy in deference to his dad, or will he remain true to his poltergeist form and plaster Al head to foot with ink pellets? Please write the story from Al's point of view.
- Anyone 13 years of age and over may enter the contest, including staff members who are not involved in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
- 500 word limit.
- All submissions must be the original work of the contestant. Any assignments found to contain the work of another author will be disqualified (and have a note sent home to your parents!).
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- All entries must meet PG-13 standards of decency and good taste.
- The first place winner will receive a custom made wand donated by Wizard Wood Wands and 200 MyLeaky points.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner forum of The Leaky Lounge.
- All submissions must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm (EDT) on 30 September, with "Albus meets Peeves" in the subject line of the e-mail. Any late homework will result in automatic detention!
- Please copy-paste your story into the body of the e-mail and include a name to be used for authorship (real name or Leaky Lounge name).
- The judges will be looking for creative, interesting and cannon correct stories that are well written. You may find the "tips and hints" located below the FAQ helpful.
Update: Winners have been picked! Click their name to view their winning entry.
First Place: KatetheKeeper
Second Place: Patricia Goodsell
Third Place: CharlieNevin