Rumor Alert: Bathilda Bagshot Casting for Deathly Hallows and More (Updated)

DH Film
April 03, 2009, 09:09 AM

Rumor Alert: More casting rumors today regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

First up: UK character actress Hazel Douglas has reportedly been cast as Bathilda Bagshot, the author of "A History of Magic," longtime friend to Albus Dumbledore, and unwitting source to scandal monger Rita Skeeter. Readers will also recall of course the dramatic and terrifying scenes at Godric's Hollow involving Bathilda's errm being. You can see her photo here.  As with all of these reports, we must await official confirmation that will arrive when WB issues a formal announcement. Until then, a rumor this must remain, despite multiple solid sourcing which we at TLC believe to be accurate.

A second report arrived last night regarding the young actor Jamie Campbell BowerA columnist for the Daily Mail states that the actor (seen recently in Sweeney Todd)," is in final negotiations to portray Gellert Grindelwald  -  one of the most dangerous dark wizards of all time (in Harry Potter lore anyway), second only to Voldemort." You can see photos of Jamie here in our Image galleries. The report then continues to state that the early filming for the movie is focusing on parts involving the Trio, and further notes: "The trio have done several action sequences, and Daniel and Emma have been working with a choreographer for some big wedding scenes that will be shot in the summer." This would correspond of course to the wedding of Bill and Fleur, and working well with the reports TLC first told you regarding the casting of Bill Weasley, and the filming and building of the set for Shell Cottage in Wales.

UPDATE: TLC has been working independently to learn more this report of casting for young Grindlewald, and while multiple sources are unable to confirm this on the record at this time,TLC now believes this to be an accurate report.  Worth noting: Jamie Campbell Bower recently stated he has been cast in the Twilight sequel "New Moon," playing one of the Volturi Vampires, and there are multiple rumors abounding about his potential involvement in other giant blockbusters, even things such as Spidey the musical. As exciting as all of this seems, we caution that official confirmation on these and all of the other DH casting reports of late will not arrive until WB makes their formal announcement

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

They better keep the Bathilda Bagshot scene as violent and gore-filled as possible. This is their last chance to shock the audience! I read that part of the book three o’clock in the morning, and even READING about it shocked me. Imagine what they could do with special effects? I don’t want Bathilda to turn into Nagini, I want Nagini to rip herself out of Bathilda’s mouth with blood flying everywhere.

They made Nagini attacking Mr. Weasley violent and OoTP was still PG-13, so why can’t this? Afterall, HBP is PG, so the MPAA is obviously getting more accepting with their ratings.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on April 03, 2009, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Hogwarts03_thumb

not a bathilda i was picturing but thats cool…can see the Grindelwald. I wonder who they are going to get to play Albus when hes younger. hmmmm…something to ponder..

Posted by IwishIwas@Hogwarts on April 03, 2009, 02:24 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

well it looks like she would fit the part! i’m glad they are keeping that part :D

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on April 03, 2009, 02:25 PM report to moderator

I think she looks like Bathilda, a little younger than I imagined old Bagshot, but it’s ok. I love all these little spoilers they let us know, it does remember me that the movies are so near!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 03, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

Jamie Campbell Bower as Gellert Grindelwald is funny. The pictures of him in the Leaky Gallery has him next to Sir Ian McKellen (can’t spell)… He’s the actor I want him to play older Grindelwald… And the good thing is that Jamie and Ian look similiar!!!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 03, 2009, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Acciobooks_thumb

Yes cast the Jamie guy! He was awesome in Sweeney Todd, is super sexy, and would make an amazing Grindelwald.

Posted by potterhead23 on April 03, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

I like this casting, neither is really how I pictured them but I think Hazel could pull it off and Jamie sounds like a good actor! Woaa! My favourite part of thisis talk about the wedding!!!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on April 03, 2009, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Avatar_nerd_thumb

I always pictured Bathilda more frail than that… But Jamie! He looks perfect for Grinddelwald. And he’s playing Caius in New Moon! YAY!

Posted by Imperiused! on April 03, 2009, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Witch_hat_thumb

I hope Jamie will be playing Grindelwald. I don’t really care whether or not he’s in Twilight, I loved him in Sweeney Todd and think he’d make a great Grindelwald.

Posted by *H*ROAR Mudblood Proud on April 03, 2009, 03:56 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I saw Bathilda as the woman who played Mrs. Figg in OOTP! :) Haha. Just how I thought Bathilda looked like even though it’s far from her description in the books. But yeah, hopefully this rumour is true!

As for Jamie … Uhm, well. He’s a great singer and a great actor. But the fact that’s he’s apart of New Moon makes me upset. I don’t want any Twilightness in DH. Then fangirls from the T-word fandom will just come and watch it and be like “ZOMG!”

Ugh. I hope Jamie doesn’t get cast. Just my opinion. I just HATE T-word. =/
I don’t hate Jamie, but I hate Twilight.

Posted by Christine on April 03, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

coool

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on April 03, 2009, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

Jamie Bower looks perfect for young Grindelwald!

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on April 03, 2009, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Do we have confirmation on how many months Emma will be filming? We know filming lasts for a year, but that Daily Mail blog also said they are cramming in as many Emma scenes as possible before she heads off to school. That means they’d have to finish all her scenes no later than mid-august (if she comes to the US), leaving several months of filming without her. Do you think she’ll film more scenes over holiday breaks?

Posted by mollywobble on April 03, 2009, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

love(!) jamie’s look. wasn’t he one of the actors rumored for teenaged voldemort in hbp? I remember seeing his picture way back when. anyway, they are including young grindelwald, thank god. I know it’s a lot to ask but maybe there will be some scenes with young albus and gellert – like sending letters in the middle of the night, thats my favorite.

and yay for bathilda! I want to see that nagini scene so bad.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on April 03, 2009, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

@potterversefan
same here, didn’t expect her to look so elderly either. but the update was good, and she seems quite of the author for “a history of magic” from the details.

Posted by chocolaterabbits on April 03, 2009, 05:00 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Can your eye -- I mean, can you --?"[br]"Yeah, it can see through Invisibility Cloaks," Moody said quietly. "And it's come in useful at times, I can tell you."