January 2012′s Harry’s Other Magical Accident Contest
Jan 01, 2012
Posted by John Admin
Harry’s Other Magical Accident Contest
Welcome to the new year! The idea for January’s contest comes to us from Elli Jenks!
Before Harry knew he was a wizard he was just a small boy living with
his ill-mannered relatives. Over the years as incidents of bullying
would occur, both at home and at school, strange unexplainable
phenomenon would occur as well. Harry could never explain how he ended
up on the school roof when running from a bully, or why his hair grew
abnormally fast every time his aunt tried to cut it. How the hideous
overlarge sweater she once tried to force him to wear somehow managed to
shrink to four sizes too small, or how the glass vanished around the
snake encounter on their trip to the zoo just as his spoiled cousin
Dudley leaned against it. It all seemed like magic, but that was a word
Harry learned very quickly not to use.
The contest this month asks you to delve back into those early years of
Harry’s life before Hogwarts, and share another such “accident” that
occurred, in 750 words or less. Good luck!
- Anyone 13 years of age and over may enter the contest, including staff members who are not involved in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
submissions must be the original work of a single contestant. Any
entries found to contain the work of another author will be
- All entries must meet PG-13 standards of decency and good taste.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- The first place winner will receive a handcrafted wand (design changes each month) and a copy of the book The Practitioners Guide to Wand Magic by William C. Wilson, both donated by Wizard Wood Wands,
as well as 200 MyLeaky points. Second, third, and honorable mention(s)
will receive 150, 100, and 50 MyLeaky points respectively.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered in the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner Forum of The Leaky Lounge.
- In 750 words or less write a story of another
“magical” accident that happened to Harry before Hogwarts. Tell where
Harry was, who he was with, what incident occurred, and perhaps even
mention the consequences that followed.
- Your submission must
be e-mailed to [email protected] by 11:59 pm (EDT) on 31
January, with “Magical Accident” in the subject line of the e-mail.
copy-paste your description into the body of the e-mail and include a
name to be used for authorship. You may use your real name or your
Leaky Lounge name.
UPDATE: The winners have been picked! Please click on his/her name to read his/her winning entry! Congratulations to all!
First Place: KATANDCON
Second Place: chikitcorpuzvesterbaek
Third Place: Maxine Patwardhan
Honorable Mention: ViciousVoldemort
Honorable Mention: Kneazel Tamer
Honorable Mention: QuillMirror121
Honorable Mention: Freds_Ear