2012 Two-Part Riddles Contest
Jul 01, 2012
Posted by John Admin
2012 Two-Part Riddles Contest
Welcome to the 2012 edition of the two-part riddles contest! It is year 5
and the big change this year is the time when riddles will be posted
(11am EDT instead of 9am EDT). We also upped the word limit for riddles
to 80 instead of 75. We still have our Facebook page for “reminders” also!
Part One will occur during the month of July. You are invited to submit a
canon correct riddle that relates to a person, place or thing found in
the Harry Potter books. The contest team will select the best riddles
from the entries to have 10 riddles varying in difficulty to post. The
team will also write and post riddles to fill in any needs. From these
10 riddles, a new riddle will be posted in the Contest Corner and on our Facebook page
each Monday and Friday at 11am EDT during the month of August (see
schedule below) for Part Two of the contest. All contestants’ riddle
entries used in July (this excludes riddles created by the contest team)
and all people who submit correct answers for all the riddles will be
placed into a drawing for one of three Wizard Wood Wands.
- There is a strict PG-13 rating for all riddles
- All work must be original
- All decisions by the judges are final
- Anyone 13 and older may enter the contest including staff members who are not involved in the judging process
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this contest, please come to the Contest Corner forum on the Leaky Lounge.
July’s Part One Rules:
During the month of July, the Contest Team is asking people to submit
riddles. To help you create your riddles, here are a few sources to help
you along: write your own riddle worksheet (requires Acrobat Reader) and writing riddles from ehow.com.
- The answer to each riddle must be canon correct and relate to one person, place, or thing found in books 1-7 of Harry Potter (Pottermore and other non-book canon are not
allowed). Please ensure that these riddles are solvable (test them out
on friends who won’t enter!), do not have obscure Harry Potter related
answers, and, most importantly, are actual riddles (e.g. not trivia
- Please keep riddles no longer than 80 words.
- There is no particular format that is desired for the riddles.
- You may submit up to 3 riddles.
- All riddles must be e-mailed to [email protected] by Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm (EDT)
with “2012 Riddle Entries” in the subject line of the e-mail. Please
copy-paste the riddles into the body of the e-mail with the answers and
include a name to be used for authorship (real name or Leaky Lounge
- All entries that do not include the answers and name for authorship will be disqualified.
- The authors of all riddles used in the second part will be automatically placed into the drawing for one of three Wizard Wood Wands.
August’s Part Two Rules:
Every Monday and Friday at approximately 11am EDT through the month of August, the Contest Team will post a riddle on the Contest Corner and our Facebook page to be answered via e-mail. Please see the schedule below for the exact dates.
- All answers must be e-mailed with “2012 Riddle # Answer” in the subject line to [email protected] before
the next riddle is posted (see schedule below). Please also submit a
name (real name or Leaky Lounge name) to be used for tracking and site
announcement (if you should win) purposes. Please replace the # with the
riddle number (e.g. Riddle 1 Answer, Riddle 2 Answer, etc).
do not post your answer in any form or way on the Leaky Lounge and
Facebook. All attempts or answers will be removed with the person
notified as to why the post was removed. In addition, the answer (even
if e-mailed afterwards) will be forfeited and considered incorrect.
- All answers submitted will be recorded and kept throughout the month for each person who enters.
- Answers to the riddles and the percentage correct will be posted only in the Contest Corner after the new riddle has been posted. Answers will not be posted on our Facebook page because of spoiler concerns.
- If you would like some sort of “reminder” when new riddles are posted, please “like” our Facebook page as each riddle will be posted there (in addition to the traditional method on the Contest Corner) and will show-up on your daily feed.
- To be eligible for the drawing of a Wizard Wood Wands,
you must have all 10 riddles answered correctly. If you miss a
deadline, your list of answers will not be counted towards a full list
of correct answers. You are encouraged to still submit answers after a
missed deadline in case there is no one with a full list of correct
answers. If no one submits and/or answers 10 riddles correctly, the next
highest amount correct will be used for the drawing of the three Wizard Wood Wands.
Schedule of Posted Riddles:
All riddles are posted on Monday and Friday at 11am EDT or 4pm BST on the Contest Corner and on our Facebook page. Please note the first riddle starts in August and the last goes into September.
Riddle #1 – Fri, August 3
Riddle #2 – Mon, August 6
Riddle #3 – Fri, August 10
Riddle #4 – Mon, August 13
Riddle #5 – Fri, August 17
Riddle #6 – Mon, August 20
Riddle #7 – Fri, August 24
Riddle #8 – Mon, August 27
Riddle #9 – Fri, August 31
Riddle #10 – Mon, Sept 3
Fri, September 7 – Riddle #10 entries are due by 11am EDT or 4pm BST
UPDATE: The contest is finished, but we’d like to recognize a few people.
No one got all 10 riddles correct, but 2 people had 9/10 correct! Congratulations to those 2 people:
The winner’s of the 3 wands: